Our History



75

CDR Maguire has been a mainstay architecture and engineering company. Founded in New England, the company is now a national, multi-award-winning firm known for responsiveness to our clients, the creativity of our designs, the quality of our work, and the expertise of our staff.

We invite you to take a look at our history. Find out where we came from and where we’re going in the future.



Divider_Horz

current

COMPANY RETURNS TO ITS CORE STRENGTH AND IS RENAMED CDR MAGUIRE

As chance would have it, the company found its new owner while expanding its geographic reach into Florida. Carlos A. Duart, then President of Metric Engineering, partnered with Maguire on an environmental CM assignment in Hialeah, FL. Mr. Duart’s vision of expanding into the northeastern market and Maguire’s goal of finding an outside partner was a perfect fit.

 

The firm’s transition during the global recession proved challenging, and the company reorganized under Chapter 11 in 2011, which proved to be successful. In a little over 10 months, the company emerged under the new name, CDR Maguire. The company survived, and most important, it did so with its key staff and the continued support of its clients and partners, as it paid its subonsultants 100% of their claims.

 

The company begins the last quarter of its first century under new leadership, a clean balance sheet, and the loyalty and dedication of its employees. Returning focus to its core strength – transportation engineering – and with renewed ambition to resume to its greatness, the company promises to lead the way with innovative solutions for its clients.

 

The Solutions that Move People.


2000

 

CARLOS A. DUART PURCHASES MAGUIRE GROUP AFTER GROWING HIS PREVIOUS ENGINEERING COMPANY TO OVER $75 MILLION

As our nation’s priorities shifted from infrastructure spending to military and defense, the company also shifted its priorities from growth to optimizing operations and internal organization. As part of that shift, the company was sold to Mr. Duart, who had extensive experience in streamlining engineering firms.

 

 


1990

 

COMP. REBUILDS WITH SIGNATURE PROJECTS – IWAY & BOSTON CENTRAL ARTERY

During a major reorganizational phase, the company established itself as one of the leading firms in Pennsylvania, led a joint venture in designing the most complex section of the Boston Central Artery, and was awarded the IWAY project, which became the company’s signature project.

 


1980

 

COMPANY IS REPURCHASED BY MANAGERS AND RENAMED CE MAGUIRE, INC.

During the slowdown of the 1970s, the firm underwent consolidation and was repurchased from Combustion Engineering.


1970

 

COMPANY EXPANDS INTO FOREIGN MARKETS

This era of expansion for the company included acquisitions and growth into markets like the Caribbean, South America, and Africa.

 

 


1960

 

COMPANY PURCHASED BY COMBUSTION ENGINEERING

By 1963, more than $3 billion in projects had been completed, and with new ownership, focus now included the private sector with clients like Polaroid, United Aircraft, and Kaiser Aluminum.

 


1950

 

COMPANY EMPLOYEES CARRY ON THE LEGACY AS CHARLES MAGUIRE, FOUNDER, PASSES AWAY

In 1954, the firm’s direction was managed by a group of partners that continued to diversify services throughout New England, especially bridge projects in the state of Rhode Island.

 


1940

 

COMPANY IS FOUNDED WITH EARLY FOCUS ON TRANSPORTATION

Maguire was originally founded in 1938 with a staff of two and not a single project in the books.